ALIAS Series Concerts are at 8 PM in Turner Hall
(Blair School of Music, Vanderbilt University)
Tickets: $15, $5 for Students w/ ID
ALIAS Winter Concert – Tuesday, February 18, 2014
ALIAS’ Winter Concert unveils the ensemble’s project of presenting works by Paul Moravec, beginning with his “Tempest Fantasy”, which won the 2004 Pulitzer Prize. ALIAS will record this and other of Moravec’s works on a disc that will be released in Fall 2014 on the Delos label. Works by Ginastera, Debussy, and young American composer Piotr Szewczyk round out this eclectic program.
• Piotr Szewczyk “Twisted Dances” for oboe, violin, cello and piano (2012)
• Dmitri Shostakovich String Quartet No 10 in A flat, opus 119 (1964)
• Claude Debussy Trio for flute, viola, and harp (1915)
• Paul Moravec Tempest Fantasy for clarinet, violin, cello and piano (2002)
• Nonprofit Partner: The Contributor
ALIAS Spring Concert – Wednesday, May 7, 2014
Continuing the roll-out of its recording project, ALIAS teams up with Nashville vocal ensemble Portara to present two more of Paul Moravec’s works: Sacred Love Songs, and the World Premiere of “Amorisms”, which has been commissioned by ALIAS, Portara, and the Nashville Ballet. Also on the program are a trio by Maurice Ravel and works by Douglas Hill and ALIAS cellist Matt Walker, both influenced by American folk/pop idioms.
• Maurice Ravel Sonatine en Trio for flute, cello, and harp (1905)
• Douglas Hill “A Set of Songs and Dances” for clarinet, horn, vibraphone, and bass (2006)
• Paul Moravec Sacred Love Songs for string quartet and SATBB voices (2012)
• Matt Walker “Grooves” for string quartet (2013)
• Paul Moravec “Amorisms” for clarinet, string quartet and SSATB voices (2014, World Premiere)
• Nonprofit Partner: Students Taking a Right Stand (STARS)
Funding for ALIAS performances is provided in part by the Tennessee Arts Commission and the Metro Arts Commission.
February 14-16, 2014
“Attitude” series with the Nashville Ballet, where ALIAS will perform Kevin Puts’ “And Legions will Rise” for clarinet, violin and marimba. Click here for tickets.
May 29-31, 2014
“Emergence” with the Nashville Ballet and Portara, featuring all the Moravec works on the CD. Click here for tickets.